Definition of the cluster
The decree relating to the support and the development of the Business Clusters defines them as follows:
« By business cluster, we have to understand the association joining a mode of organization of the productive system established mainly at the initiative of companies having an activity in the Walloon Region, which can, where needed, appoint the participation of academic institutions, research centers , training centers, and which is characterized by
- the mobilization of a representative critical mass covering one or several fields of activity;
- a co-operation framework encompassing related activities,
- the voluntary development between the companies of a complementarity relationship, vertical or horizontal, profit or non-profit ;
- the promotion of a common vision of development. »
The purpose of clusters
In the present and future Walloon strategic sectors, supporting the economic development of SMEs, networking them and integrating them into their known and future ecosystems, with the declared objective of developing the ecosystems in which these SMEs operate, in promoting innovation and creativity, both in Wallonia and internationally, with respect for sustainable growth responding in particular to environmental and societal challenges.
The vision of clusters by 2025
By 2025, the Walloon clusters will have conquered the undisputed role of the reference interface between Walloon SMEs and the components of their respective ecosystems.
The clusters will have established themselves as experts in their sector thanks, among other things, to their ability to proactively support Walloon SMEs in collaboration with all public and private actors on their themes in order to guarantee sustainable growth for SMEs.
These public and private players in the Walloon ecosystem will have recognized the on-the-ground knowledge of the clusters in their sector, their usefulness and the quality of their cooperation.
- Create networks and places of exchange (including in particular the prospecting of new companies)
- Business developer (including the attractiveness of the sector)
- Structuring the sector
- Federate ecosystem actors
- Be the ambassador of ecosystems (technological, political, legal watches, etc.)
- Complement and position yourself in traditional and non-traditional value chains
- Encourage innovation
- Promote internationalization
- Support and promote the development of projects from both an economic and technological point of view
- Support the sustainable development of all ecosystems
- Promote skills development for ecosystem stakeholders